Sunday, March 4, 2012

More From Our Graduating Seniors: Stephannie Cravatta (Class of 2012)


My experience here at St. Bonaventure studying history has been very rewarding and full of new experiences. When I first got here in 2008, I was very worried. I was worried because I had heard all the “college horror stories” in which professors don’t care about you or don’t care about whether or not you show up to class. This is hardly the case with the history department here. I first started with a class taught by Dr. Huddle, Pan-Africanism. While that class was extremely interesting, it made me wonder if I was in the right major. That feeling changed when I had classes my sophomore year with Dr. Horowitz. I remember when I wrote my first paper for him. I got the paper back, and I just started crying. It was full of red marks, and it seriously put a bruise on my ego. I went into his office and explained my situation (I had never received lower than a “B” on a paper before), and he reassured me that that is what happens when you get him as a professor for the first time. Instead of dropping the class and deciding never to take a class with him again, I decided to stick with him, and I am very happy with that choice I made three years ago. His classes have taught me how to be a better writer, look at history in a new way, and always ask questions. History here at St. Bonaventure is not boring. The department offers many choices for students because this department has professors for just about every subject. I can honestly say, I did not have one dull history class, just because I was able to pick which ones I wanted to take, besides introductory-level courses like History 101, 102, 201, and 202.

At first, I used to be afraid to mention outside of my family and close friends that I was a history major because I was afraid people would assume I am a “nerd” or someone who decided to pick an “easy major” and let me just say, history is nowhere near a “easy major.” People need to re-evaluate that sentence, especially when they say it to me. Being here made me realize that I am nowhere near a “nerd” for liking history and wanting to study it. The department had me realize I want to continue studying it because I like it and because I want to be a part of the change I want to see in the world with the generations yet to come. I can proudly say that I am a history major, I love it, and pride myself on knowing every bit of information I’ve learned from the history department. I am very excited to go out and brag about this department for years to come because I truly feel that there is not a department here at this school, or any school for that matter, that is as tight, relationship wise, among the professors and between the professors and students. The professors here are extremely smart and nice. I will miss them greatly when I graduate in a few months.
After graduation, I’m not sure what I will be doing. I originally wanted to be a secondary school history teacher, but I am not sure that is what I want to do. As of right now, I want to keep studying history and maybe work in museums. My ideal museum job would be to work at one of the Smithsonian Museums in Washington, D.C. We will see where the wind takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment