Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My Time at Bona’s as a History Major (Bella Quijano)

When I first arrived at St. Bonaventure, I had no clue what I wanted to study.  I was one of the  "undecided" students.  My first semester was full of new and wonderful experiences. I was not very concerned about picking a major. I just figured it would come to me at some point, and it did! I did not want to remain undecided for long, so I thought about what I truly enjoyed about learning and what exactly fascinated me. History fit the bill.
              The main reason I came to St. Bonaventure was because of its size.  In a small school I knew that I would have a better relationship with my teachers. Before deciding on any major, I really wanted to connect with my professors. I instantly connected with all of my history professors. All my history professors have been wonderful. In every history class I have taken, all my history professors have created an environment where everyone, not just history buffs, thrives and contributes to the discussion.
            As a History major, I have read many books and written many papers. While it may be tedious work and require a lot of time, it has been greatly important for my academic growth. I have learned so much and have developed a comprehensive understanding of the world I live in today. I have learned that what happens today is a product of yesterday. I understand that there is so much more out there that I do not know. I always want to know more about the past!
            My major has given me insight on how to approach history. I have drastically improved my writing, analytical, and critical analysis. I have developed a liking in analyzing films and television shows. Most importantly, my history major has given me an  insight into what I want to do in the future. My love for history has evolved into love for art history as well.
            I am often asked why I chose history as a major. The answer is always the same, I love history! St. Bonaventure has helped me become the person I am today. My professors have been wonderful throughout. My classes have been more than educational. They have been enriching and insightful as well. My history major has given me a new set of eyes through which I can look at the world and for that, I will always be thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment