Thursday, September 19, 2013

Introducing Our Incoming History Majors, Part III: Daniel Leopold


The intention of college, or at least its perception, has become misconstrued. When I was in high school, the only stories I was taught concerning college involved crazy parties, promiscuity, and plenty of illicit substances. I had not once heard about amazing professors or interesting classes. Not taking these stories to heart, I came to college prepared to learn, and learn a lot. That wasn’t only my expectation, but my dream. Learning has become a huge part of my plans for the future, even recreationally speaking. And not just for practical endeavors either, but both to improve myself and to help those around me.
Conditionally, this is why I believe Aristotle is the seminal figure of history. Aside from the fact that he wasn’t the greatest mathematician (isn’t that why we all chose history?), his scope of knowledge was unparalleled. He could speak with the greatest contemporary thinkers on any subject, be it discourse, cosmology, or physics. And what I think college should be is to create well-rounded individuals in the mold of Aristotle.
But college admittedly isn’t all about learning. And experiencing new things and meeting new people isn’t just personal dogma, it is my job. As per my description provided by my boss at The Bona Venture, I have to go out into the area surrounding St. Bonaventure and experience a different event or place, and write a story about it. This process essentially advertises these experiences to students and makes Bonaventure more appealing to potential high school seniors.
And for those two reasons, I chose Bonaventure. It has a multi-layered appeal to those on the quest for knowledge who can afford to take a break and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment