Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Time as a History Major at Bonaventure by Sam Moore

Ever since I was a child I have always had a passion for history. As I grew older, there was no question that I was going to study history in college. It is an interesting story of how I ended up at St. Bonaventure University. I had initially planned on attending Alfred University, but around February of 2010 my father convinced me to apply to SBU. Looking back, I waited way too long to apply. After taking one tour of the campus that spring, I knew instantly that this is where I was going to school.

I have enjoyed every day as a member of the SBU history program. I discovered very quickly that our history professors deeply care about their students' success not only in class but in life after college as well. The professors here have challenged me every step of the way. They have helped me developed my skills of writing, reading, and, most importantly, my ability to think critically. These three things are arguably the most important skills an individual can possess, and I know I will carry them with me for the rest of my life.

I think the most important aspect of this discipline is the fact that history challenges the way you think. One of the best parts about being a history major is discussing issues with other students. Almost every day, I find myself outside of Plassmann Hall discussing current and historical events with other history majors. I can remember having a conversation about this topic with Dr. Joel Horowitz. We both agreed that one of the best parts of college is that it exposes you to differing opinions, and differing points of view. Being able to acknowledge someone else’s point of view is one of the most important things a person can possess. I think it sets you up for success, and ultimately makes you a better person.

Two of the professors that have had the biggest impact on me are Dr. Maddalena Marinari and Dr. Joel Horowitz. Through the rigor of their course requirements they have molded me into a driven student. My plans for the near future consist of serving as an Active Duty Ordinance Officer in the United States Army. I eventually wish to pursue a Master’s Degree in Business.

No comments:

Post a Comment