Friday, April 24, 2015

Shannon Conheady at A&S Exposition



Throughout my last year at Bonaventure, I have been working on my Honors thesis. On Thursday I presented my work at the Arts and Sciences Exposition. The project explores how the backlash against the feminist movement of the 1970s continues to affect college campuses today. In my research, I found a distinct turning point during the late 1970s and early 1980s where this backlash is particularly evident, especially in the defeat of the Equal Rights Amendment and the culture that grew out of that defeat. I looked at how the culture that arose during this time period continues to impact women who have been sexually assaulted on their campuses. It also continues to influence how college handle cases of sexual assault. My project uses two different mediums to explore this persistent backlash, paper and photography. It has been an eye-opening experience to write and explore the beginnings of this problem that is so wide-spread on college campuses throughout this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment