Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Time as a History Major at Bonaventure by Christina Stankewicz

When I decided on going to Bonaventure, my friends all thought that I was crazy because I picked a school that was eight hours from home. They also thought that I was insane for deciding to major in history, but I wanted to pick a major that offered flexibility and allowed me to figure out what I was interested in. With history I was able to do just that.

Like everyone, I have a variety of interests. If I had to pick a top three, I would say that I really enjoy music, reality television, and films. During my time at Bonaventure, I really have become a reality tv addict. I watch the Real Housewives, Honey Boo Boo, the Kardashians, and the list goes on and on. I will admit this and I have no shame. I also love watching classic films, so my time is split between watching TCM as well as watching reality tv. While I do love these things, what has made me love them even more is the fact that I was able to incorporate them into my history classes. I took a history class with Dr. Marinari where we had an assignment in which we had to pick a research topic on an event that happened in the past twenty years that will be studied by future generations. I picked the Kardashians and looked at how they created this new type of family empire in Hollywood. I can honestly say that I have never had more fun doing research than I did when it came to that subject. While I can’t say that I took a class on reality tv, I can say that I took a class on film. Taking a film with Mr. Spaeth class made me realize how much of a movie buff I really am and how much I actually appreciate film. Since taking that class last spring, I’ve realized that I analyze films like crazy when I watch them and look at them in historical lenses. My friends really hate to watch movies with me because of this. I have also realized that I can’t stand most of the movies that come out nowadays.

All in all, I am happy to say that when I graduate in May that I have taken a variety of classes that have sparked my interest in certain things. I have found that in these past four years that you need to do what will interest you, and that you need to apply what you like to what you’re doing. Thank you to all of my professors that have helped me realize that at different points because without coming to this conclusion, I think that these past four years would not have been as amazing as they have turned out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment